Sick and disabled veterans concerned about long-term housing needs have several healthcare benefits options available through the VA. Qualified veterans are eligible for financial support for assisted living, live-in, and home healthcare. A Mobile, AL veterans disability benefits attorney can help you understand and apply for these critical services.
The VA’s housing and care programs differ depending on what the individual veteran requires. Long-term care services include the following:
- Nursing and medical care, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week
- Physical therapy
- Assistance with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, preparing meals, and taking medication
- Comfort and pain management care
- Help for caregivers who may require skilled assistance or who need a break from their duties
These are available through the VA as well as organizations at the state and community level. The VA inspects and approves programs that are run outside of the department.
There are also live-in care services available for sick and disabled veterans. Although they are not run or staffed by the VA, they are inspected and approved by the department. Some of the live-in care options are:
- Nursing homes
- Assisted living centers
- Private homes in which a caregiver assists a small group of individuals
- Adult day health centers
- Services available in veterans’ own residences
Your exact needs will help determine the kinds of services you may be interested in receiving. A Mobile, AL veterans disability benefits lawyer can talk to you about which option best suits you. There are certain criteria that must be met before a veteran can be approved for these services. All of the following must apply:
- The veteran must be signed up for VA healthcare
- The VA determines that you need a specific service to assist with your personal care and treatment
- The service or care is available in a location close to you
You should be aware that the VA may consider other factors in making its determination. These can include the status of your service-connected disability and the nature of your insurance coverage. VA determinations are complicated and can be difficult for a veteran to navigate. Our Mobile, AL disability benefits practice focuses on the needs of veterans, and we can help with your application.
If you are already signed up for VA healthcare, your services may be covered under your standard healthcare benefits. However, some covered services will require the veteran to pay a copay. Also, some services are not covered under VA healthcare benefits. But you may be able to use Medicaid, Medicare, or private insurance to meet these costs. Let your Mobile, AL veterans disability benefits attorney assist with your coverage options.
The VA also provides specialized geriatric care services to veterans with complicated health challenges. These are typically situations in which the veteran experiences the following conditions:
- More than one complex chronic disease
- Cognitive decline
- Geriatric syndromes such as falls, frailty, incontinence, memory loss, taking many medications, or being 65 years of age or older
Help is also available to relieve veterans’ caregivers from the stress and strain that accompany assisting someone with complex conditions. The nature of a veteran’s needs will depend heavily on his or her injuries, age, and other factors. It’s a good idea to speak with an experienced veterans disability attorney about the multitude of available services.
Representing the Needs of Mobile, AL Disabled Veterans
Veterans disability services can help with a variety of special and complicated healthcare needs. However, the application and approval process can be challenging. If you’ve been denied benefits, you may have a right to appeal. Take action today to secure the compensation that will best help you. Contact our firm to talk to our team today.